Thursday, October 30, 2008

Every parent deserves a break...


I want to tell you about an experience I had last week when my little chica and I went to lunch.
I love Cancun Cafe in South Salt Lake...it is one of my favorites in Utah. Maddie has been so much more independent these days and sometimes I get pretty frustrated to go out alone with her. Mark is always so good at calming her down. But I really wanted my #6 so we stopped.

As soon as they showed us to our table Maddie freaked out. She wanted to run around and check everything out. Granted they have made a little cantina on the other side of the restaurant and it was bright and inviting, but still...So I calmly asked her to stop and decide if she wanted to sit in the booth by me or have her own side. While I looked around and noticed that I was the only one in there with a kid, I hoped she'd quickly and quietly decide. She chose her own side of the booth and took a seat, for which I was thankful.

I started ordering and Madison was diving into the chips and salsa, which are DELISH. After the server left I thanked maddie Girl for calming down and told her that I had gotten her the ice cream she was asking for. By the way, she had just come from lunch at Denny's with Nana and Papa. A weekly tradition...
Anyway, our server returned and let me know that the lady sitting 2 tables over had just paid for my #6. I asked why and she said I would have to ask her. As the lady got up to leave she stopped by and said that I had handled Madison very well when we first got there and that every parent deserves a break. I said thank you and was in shock.

I will admit I teared up. I couldn't believe the thoughtful thing that had just happened to me. I have been thinking a lot lately about how many blessings I have received lately and what I can do for the people I see everyday. That was awesome!

I will look for a way to pay it forward...

2 comments:

Brooke Barragan said...

that's awesome!

not sure if you remember me, but hopefully mark (chapper) will. dave eaton's little sister brookey. jenny noonan (eckton) led me to your blog. fun to find you.

Nikki Nelson said...

Oh, that's so sweet! Thanks for sharing that story. I miss you!

Love ya tons,
NN